Ever since I went to an open day at Grays, while I was at academy, I have been determined that I would attend Grays. Each person freely expressing themselves with their art, walls covered in ideas and a place I dreamed to become a part of. I was so excited when I received my letter saying that I had been accepted into the Contemporary Art Course at Grays. The school is even better than I had imagined. Here are a few reasons why you should pick Grays as your choice of Art School;
1. You are freely able to express yourself with your art. There are no limits to your ideas.
2. No matter how crazy your ideas may seem, there is always a tutor there to help. You will have one to one time allocated for you and your tutor to discuss your work.
3. Tutors are not just there to help you with your education, they are also there to support you emotionally. If you are struggling there is someone you can talk to. Your tutor may even introduce you to someone with similar problems.
4. You are not limited to just your own course area. If you are a Contemporary Art student you will find yourself venturing into many different areas and there is always someone who can help. I needed help because I wanted to transfer my photographs onto fabric and all I had to do was meet the head of fashion and he showed me how to do it.
5. You get your own space. This may seem small but having your own space is a great thing. You can safely leave your art work in a locker or under your desk. You have a space where you can put your stuff down to go get some food. This is your space and you can make it your own.
6. You will grow over the years. I have learned that myself. I have found my art style and I can’t thank Grays enough for allocating Michael Agnew as my tutor for my course. For the past 3 years he has helped us improve and has watched us grow.
7. You will form bonds very quickly. It doesn’t matter if you don’t speak to some people in your course that much, you all understand each other and will help each other out. Everyone has a hidden bond. One time I went around my studio and asked people from my course if I could take their photograph and they were all happy to participate.
8. There is equipment that will help further your education and improve your work. On site, there is a dark room, wood workshops, printing studios, an art shop, a loan store so you can borrow equipment that you don’t own, whole rooms dedicated to just sewing. There is even a 3D printer!
9. The walls are there for you to work with. The walls are painted white so you have a blank canvas to work on. The whole school is there for you to explore.
10. No one will judge you. This is true because I walked around the whole building in my slippers and no one batted an eyelid. You can have any style you want and Grays will love you for it.
Grays feels like my second home and I hope that soon it will be yours too. I hope to see your art spread across Gray’s walls in the future.